Dual Credit Courses
Starting with the 2019-20 School Year, Kolbe Academy offers high school students the opportunity to earn dual credit through the University of St. Thomas (UST) in Houston’s online courses.
The following 3-credit, 1 semester courses will be offered both in the Fall of 2019 and Spring of 2020.
- PHIL 2314 – Ethics
- UST Course Description: A study of the components of the moral life and moral decision–making: freedom, obligation, conscience, objective goods and values. Application of moral principles to particular circumstances. Prerequisite: PHIL 1311 or three courses in the historical sequence.
- ECON 1331- Principles of Macroeconomics
- UST Course Description: This course concentrates on analysis of national income, with special attention to the role of monetary and fiscal policies in stabilizing the price level and fostering high levels of employment and rapid economic growth. Theoretical as well as policy implications of income and price determination models are explored.
- ECON 1332 – Principles of Microeconomics
- UST Course Description: A study of the functioning of the market system, with emphasis on consumer and business decision–making and the various market structures. The course covers the theoretical underpinnings as well as the policy implications of the market system, resource allocation and income distribution.
- PSYC 1332 – General Psychology
- UST Course Description: An introduction to the basic processes and principles of human behavior. Methods and findings which characterize scientific psychology, including historical and recent developments in the following areas, will be covered: motivation; perceptual, cognitive and physiological processes; and social, personality and abnormal processes.
- GEOG 2332 – World Regional Geography
- UST Course Description: A description and analysis of the different culture areas of the world. Human use of the physical environment in shaping cultural heritage.
- SOCI 1331 – Principles of Sociology
- UST Course Description: The study of people in interdependence. Identification of social groups and observation of their structures, functions, interactions and coordination. Particular emphasis on the social processes and the development of group values andattitudes.
Kolbe Academy awards 10 high school credits (1 year) for each 3 credit college course.
- The partnership Kolbe has established with UST provides Kolbe students the opportunity to enroll in these dual credit courses though Kolbe’s regular enrollment process. Simply enroll your 11th or 12th grader with Kolbe and choose your dual enrollment courses on the enrollment form.
- Enrollment opens for dual enrollment at the same time as Kolbe’s regular 2019-20 School Year enrollment which is Monday, March 4, 2019.
Dual enrollment courses with the University of St. Thomas are open to any full-time or part-time enrolled 11th or 12th grade Kolbe Academy student.
- All grades and transcripts for the courses will be issued officially by UST. Kolbe will automatically credit students in dual enrollment courses toward diploma requirements.
- Students will use Blackboard Learn (BB Learn) for the asynchronous portion of the course. Similar to Schoology, BB Learn is a Learning Management Software (LMS) that allows students to upload assignments, participate in discussions, and see graded work by UST Faculty.
- UST is currently exploring adding a synchronous meeting for dual enrollment course participants. Details on this format will be released if this option becomes available.
- The UST Faculty teaches all of the dual enrollment courses.
Kolbe is offering introductory pricing on this exciting new option for its students!
- Regularly priced at $1,195 per 3-credit course.
- Introductory pricing is $1,095 per 3-credit course.
All books are set by the University of St. Thomas and can be purchased through their online bookstore.