Honors Courses

HONORS AND AP COURSES

The Kolbe Academy Honors (H or OH) and AP (AP) Course Designations are awarded to students who have completed the honors course of study as specified in our individual course plans; by enrolling in an online Honors Seminar offered in the subject areas of Theology, Literature and History; or enrolling in an online course in the subject areas of Honors or AP Math and Science, or AP Latin and Literature & Composition.  All Kolbe honors and AP courses are weighted in the GPA by 1.0 points.

 

OBTAINING HONORS FOR A HOMESCHOOL OR SELF-PACED COURSE

Theology, Literature, and History

Homeschool and Self-Paced students may pursue the Kolbe Honors (H) designation in Theology, Literature or History in two ways as described below: (1) by submitting specific assignments and tests as outlined in the individual course plans or (2) by taking an online Honors Seminar.

1)     Course Plan Assignments option: To use the course plan assignments option to receive an Honors designation in a course, the parent must select the honors option for the course on the student’s enrollment form and pay a fee to obtain an Honors Course Coversheet. To enroll in Honors and receive an Honors Course Coversheet after enrollment, please contact the Advisors at 707-255-6499 Ext. 5. Check our tuition page for information on fees associated with honors courses.

In general, homeschool students seeking the Honors designation in Theology, Literature and History using the course plan assignments option must complete all the reading assigned in the course plan as well as 8 of the 14 weekly papers each semester. Further, they should have discussions or write informal essays in response to the remainder of the weekly paper topics as these are major themes and will appear in some way on the final exam.

The following written samples must be submitted along with a grade on the report card and a completed Honors Course Coversheet each semester: a completed mid-term exam, a completed semester exam, and 8 graded papers as assigned in the homeschool course plan. A Kolbe advisor will grade 2 of the 8 papers and the two exams. A parent is welcome to grade the exams and include them in the parent grade for the course.  However, this is optional since a Kolbe Advisor will grade the tests as well. The grades given by the advisor will be weighted at 30% of the overall grade for the honors homeschool or self-paced course: 20% for the two exams, and 10% for the papers. The parent assigned grade will constitute the remaining 70% of the grade the for the course.

2)     Online Honors Seminar option. For a homeschool or self-paced student to use the online Honors Seminar option to receive an Honors designation in a course, the parent must select the online Honors Seminar for the specific course at the time of the student’s enrollment. The parent will be sent an Honors w/Online Seminar Coversheet once the enrollment is processed. To enroll in an online Honors Seminar after enrollment, please contact the Advisors at 707-255-6499 Ext. 5. Because these seminars are live classes, admission into the seminar after the beginning of the school year will be approved on a case-by-case basis. Please see the section on earning an Honors designation in an online course (below) for more details about Kolbe’s online Honors Seminars. Check our tuition page for information on fees associated with online Honors Seminars.

In addition to being enrolled in the online Honors Seminar course, homeschool and self-paced students in the online Honors Seminar will need to follow the Kolbe Core (K) requirements as outlined in the individual course plan to earn an Honors designation for the course. The online Honors Seminar instructor will assign a final grade that will count toward 30% of the overall Honors semester grade for the homeschool or self-paced student. The parent assigned grade will constitute the remaining 70% of the student’s grade for the course.

The following written samples must be submitted along with a grade on the report card and a completed Honors w/Online Seminar Coversheet each semester: a graded mid-term exam, a graded semester exam, and 4 graded papers as assigned in the homeschool course plan. A Kolbe Advisor will enter the seminar grade from the online teacher to determine the final grade in the honors course for each semester.

English 12 (Creative writing), Math, and Science

To earn the Kolbe Honors (H) designation in English 12 (Creative Writing) or any applicable Math and Science course as a homeschool or self-paced student, the parent must select the honors option for the course on the student’s enrollment form and pay a fee to obtain an Honors Course Coversheet. To enroll in Honors and receive an Honors Course Coversheet after enrollment, please contact the Advisors at 707-255-6499 Ext. 5. Check our tuition page for information on fees associated with honors courses.

For a homeschool or self-paced student to earn the Honors designation in English 12 (Creative Writing) or any applicable Math and Science course, the student must follow the specific guidelines for earning the Honors designation as outlined in the course plan for the individual course.

The following written samples must be submitted along with a grade on the report card and a completed Honors Course Coversheet each semester: the completed exams as specified in the individual course plan, and any completed assignments and/or projects (if applicable) as specified in the individual course plan. Please see the Honors Cover Sheet for the specific course to determine which samples require a parent grade and for which ones the parent grade is optional. A parent is welcome to include optional parent grades when determining the parent grade for the course.  However, a Kolbe Advisor will grade the specified samples as well. The grades given by the Kolbe Advisor will be weighted at 30% of the overall grade for the course as specified on the Honors Course Coversheet for the course. The parent assigned grade will constitute the remaining 70% of the grade for the course.

 

OBTAINING THE HONORS OR AP DESIGNATION FOR AN ONLINE COURSE

Honors Theology, Literature, and History

Students enrolled in online Honors (OH) Theology, Literature, or History, attend live class along with students enrolled as "Kolbe Core" Theology, Literature, and History students. However, students who are pursuing Honors in these subjects attend an additional live online Honors Seminar class which meets periodically over the course of the school year. Honors Seminar is an opportunity for honors students to engage in a live, dedicated, and in-depth discussion of the topics they encounter during regular class time.

Here are some details on the online Honors Seminar program:

  • Honors Seminar will be organized by grade level and will rotate each week among the topics of Theology, Literature, and History. 
  • Seminars meet live for 1 hour and 20 minutes eight times per year. 
  • Homeschool and self-paced students may enroll for the online Honors Seminar without enrolling for the weekly online course.
  • Honors seminar will replace the requirement for honors students to write four extra papers in both the online, homeschool, and self-paced courses for Theology, Literature, and History. Homeschool and self-paced honors students may still opt to write extra papers in lieu of enrolling for honors seminar.
  • Instructors leading the online Honors Seminar will assign an additional short reading assignment, typically from an essay, short story, poetry reading, encyclical, or article for each session.
  • Instructors will grade students on active participation during the live seminar classes. This may include contribution to discussions, presentations, and other assignments designed by the instructor. The seminar grade will count as 20% of the overall grade for the online student, and 30% of the grade for the homeschool or self-paced student’s grade.
  • Honors students may be taught by several instructors during the seminars, giving them the opportunity to experience the wealth of knowledge, talent, and different teaching styles that Kolbe Academy is blessed to have.

Honors or AP Math and Science, or AP Latin and Literature & Composition

Honors (OH) and AP (AP) online classes in these disciplines meet separately from the corresponding online Kolbe Core courses. All Honors and AP online classes meet twice/week for an hour and 20 minutes each time. Students taking online Honors or AP courses in these disciplines can expect to complete daily assignments, participate in class, and complete periodic exams and quizzes as assigned by their instructor. Kolbe Honors and AP students will go into more depth and cover more material than the Kolbe Core students. All requirements are assigned and graded by the instructor.