Latin is the language of the Church; as such it is an integral part of every Catholic’s heritage. This course in Latin will give a comprehensive introduction to Latin grammar. Students will complete the first twenty-eight lessons in Henle First Year Latin.
By diligent work in this course, the student will obtain:
- a sound foundation of Latin vocabulary
- an introductory grasp of Latin grammar & syntax
- facility in Latin pronunciation
- an expanded English vocabulary, by understanding etymology of Latin derivatives
- a reinforced grasp of English grammar through the study of Latin grammar
Topics covered include:
- all four conjugations & sum
- indicative, imperative, & subjunctive moods
- present & perfect tenses
- active & passive voices
- nominative, genitive, accusative, ablative, & vocative cases
- forms of first, second, third, fourth, & fifth declension
- demonstrative, personal, reflexive, & relative
Student assignments include daily vocabulary work throughout the year, composition work, and reading & speaking exercises.
Students taking this course for Kolbe Core (K) credit are expected to complete daily assignments, periodic exams and quizzes.
Assignment due-dates and grades are established by the parent. Optionally, a student may be enrolled in the Self-Paced Plus© grading assistance program to receive grading assistance from a Kolbe Academy faculty or staff member on designated assignments in the course. In this case, parents will still submit final grades to Kolbe for the course, but may choose to incorporate the graded assignments into the student’s overall grade or use the Kolbe-graded assignments to assist in arriving at the student’s final grade.
Self-Paced Plus courses include the following:
- Grading by a highly qualified teacher for selected assignments (listed below) in the course.
- Access to teacher through the course’s discussion board.
- Option to report grade given by the teacher, or to report a grade assigned by parent.
- The pacing is still established by the parent in conjunction with the student’s goals and academic calendar.
- Assignments will be graded within 1-2 weeks of the submission date, excluding holiday breaks. (For the quickest grading, students should turn assignments in incrementally throughout the year. If a student turns in multiple assignments to be graded at once, expect a response time of 1-2 weeks per assignment submitted.)
Self-Paced Plus Assignment List:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Week 2: Exercise Assignment||Week 2: Exercise Assignment|
|Week 4: Exercise Assignment||Week 4: Exercise Assignment|
|Week 7: Exercise Assignment||Week 7: Exercise Assignment|
|Week 9: Midterm 1 Exam||Week 9: Midterm 2 Exam|
|Week 11: Exercise Assignment||Week 11: Exercise Assignment|
|Week 13: Exercise Assignment||Week 13: Exercise Assignment|
|Week 16: Exercise Assignment||Week 16: Exercise Assignment|
|Week 18: Semester 1 Exam||Week 18: Semester 2 Exam|
|9 – 12 (9th)|
Extension may be granted for an additional fee.
|10 (Foreign Language)|
Course Sample Plan
Note: This course plan is built into the