Latin is the language of the Church; as such it is an integral part of every Catholic’s heritage. This course in Latin will give a comprehensive introduction to Latin grammar, as well as an introduction to translation. Students will complete the last fourteen lessons in Henle First Year Latin and complete Lessons 1-30 in Henle Second Year Latin.
By diligent work in this course, the student will obtain:
- a sound foundation of Latin vocabulary (5 words memorized per day is ideal)
- an in-depth grasp of Latin grammar & syntax
- facility in Latin pronunciation
- an expanded English vocabulary, by understanding the meaning of Latin derivatives
- a reinforced grasp of English grammar through the study of Latin grammar
Topics covered include:
- all four conjugations
- all three moods
- active & passive voices
- sum, possum, & eo
- -io verbs
- deponent verbs
- all six cases
- all five declensions
- adjective forms
- the comparison of adjectives
- demonstrative, personal, reflexive, & relative
- Specific case uses & constructions (like the Ablative of Separation)
- The gerund & gerundive
- Purpose, result, & characteristic clauses
Student assignments include daily vocabulary work throughout the year, composition work, reading & speaking exercises, and longer translation assignments based upon the writings of Julius Caesar.
Students taking this course for Kolbe Core (K) credit are expected to complete daily assignments, periodic exams, and quizzes.
Assignment due-dates and grades are established by the parent. Optionally, a student may be enrolled in the Self-Paced Plus© grading assistance program to receive grading assistance from a Kolbe Academy faculty or staff member on designated assignments in the course. In this case, parents will still submit final grades to Kolbe for the course, but may choose to incorporate the graded assignments into the student’s overall grade or use the Kolbe-graded assignments to assist in arriving at the student’s final grade.
- Latin 2 Course Plan & Tests – Digital copy provided with self-paced course. (Optional physical copy is available for purchase in the Kolbe Bookstore.)
- Henle First Year Latin, Robert J. Henle, S.J.
- Henle First Year Latin Answer Key, Robert J. Henle, S.J.
- Henle Second Year Latin, Robert J. Henle, S.J.
- Henle Second Year Latin Answer Key, Robert J. Henle, S.J.
- Henle Latin Grammar, Robert J. Henle, S.J.
Self-Paced Plus courses include the following:
- Grading by a highly qualified teacher for selected assignments (listed below) in the course.
- Access to teacher through the course’s discussion board.
- Option to report grade given by the teacher, or to report a grade assigned by parent.
- The pacing is still established by the parent in conjunction with the student’s goals and academic calendar.
- Assignments will be graded within 1-2 weeks of the submission date, excluding holiday breaks. (For the quickest grading, students should turn assignments in incrementally throughout the year. If a student turns in multiple assignments to be graded at once, expect a response time of 1-2 weeks per assignment submitted.)
Self-Paced Plus Assignment List:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Week 1: Exercise Assignment||Week 2: Exercise Assignment|
|Week 4: Exercise Assignment||Week 4: Exercise Assignment|
|Week 7: Exercise Assignment||Week 7: Exercise Assignment|
|Week 9: Midterm 1 Exam||Week 9: Midterm 2 Exam|
|Week 11: Exercise Assignment||Week 11: Exercise Assignment|
|Week 13: Exercise Assignment||Week 13: Exercise Assignment|
|Week 16: Exercise Assignment||Week 16: Exercise Assignment|
|Week 18: Semester 1 Exam||Week 18: Semester 2 Exam|
|9 – 12 (10th)|
Extension may be granted for an additional fee.
|10 (Foreign Language)|
|Latin 1 or Latin Placement Exam|
Course Plan Sample
Note: This course plan is built into the