This course is a one year course (10 credits) in high school Precalculus. The honors track, although up to the parent’s discretion, is aimed for students who have shown aptitude toward mathematics in their Geometry and Algebra II courses, or who have successfully completed the honors Algebra II/Trig course.
All students pursuing honors should expect to find the content and pace of the coursework challenging and should be sure to allot extra time for their studies. The Kolbe Honors (OH) course is recommended for students who have achieved one of the following: a “B” or better in Algebra II/Trig (H) or an “A” in Algebra II (K). The Kolbe Core (OK) Precalculus course is recommended for any student who has successfully completed Algebra II (K) or Algebra II/Trig (H).
Unit 1: Algebraic, Exponential, & Logarithmic Functions
- Functions & Mathematical Models
- Properties of Elementary Functions
- Fitting Functions to Data
- Polynomial & Rational Functions
Unit 2: Trigonometric & Periodic Functions
- Periodic Functions & Right Triangle Problems
- Applications of Trigonometric & Circular Functions
- Trigonometric Function Properties, Identities, & Parametric Functions
- Properties of Combined Sinusoids
- Triangle Trigonometry
Unit 3: Analytic Geometry
- Conic Sections & Quadratic Surfaces
- Polar Coordinates, Complex Numbers, & Moving Objects
- Three Dimensional Vectors
Unit 4: Introduction to Discrete & Continuous Mathematics
- Probability & Functions of a Random Variable
- Sequences & Series
- Introduction to Limits, Derivatives, & Integrals
Students taking this course for Kolbe Honors (H) credit are expected to complete daily assignments, periodic exams and quizzes as assigned by their parent. Kolbe Honors (H) students will go into more depth and cover more material than the Kolbe Core (K) students.
Assignment due-dates and some grades are established by the parent. To receive honors credit with Kolbe Academy, students must submit a number of designated assignments to Kolbe Academy for grading, usually exams and select papers. The parent- and Kolbe-established grades are averaged to produce the final grade for the honors course.
Alternatively, a student may enroll in the Self-Paced Plus© grading assistance program to receive additional grading assistance by a Kolbe Academy faculty or staff member on designated assignments in the course. In this case, parents may still submit grades for the student to be averaged in with the required Kolbe-graded honors assignments, or they may use the teacher-graded materials only to receive credit.
- Honors Precalculus Course Plan & Tests – Digital copy provided with self-paced course. (Optional physical copy is available for purchase in the Kolbe Bookstore.)
- Precalculus: Concepts and Applications, Paul A. Foerster
- Precalculus Home Study Companion (Optional but recommended)
Other required material:
- Graphing Calculator, TI-83 or TI-84
Self-Paced Plus courses include the following:
- Grading by a highly qualified teacher for selected assignments (listed below) in the course.
- Access to teacher through the course’s discussion board.
- Option to report grade given by the teacher, or to report a grade assigned by parent.
- The pacing is still established by the parent in conjunction with the student’s goals and academic calendar.
- Assignments will be graded within 1-2 weeks of the submission date, excluding holiday breaks. (For the quickest grading, students should turn assignments in incrementally throughout the year. If a student turns in multiple assignments to be graded at once, expect a response time of 1-2 weeks per assignment submitted.)
Self-Paced Plus Assignment List:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Week 2: Chapter 1 Test||Week 2: Chapter 8 Test|
|Week 4: Chapter 2 Test||Week 5: Chapter 9 Test|
|Week 6: Chapter 3 Test||Week 6: Chapter 10 Test|
|Week 8: Chapter 4 Test||Week 8: Chapter 11 Test|
|Week 9: Midterm 1 Exam||Week 9: Midterm 2 Exam|
|Week 11: Chapter 5 Test||Week 12: Chapter 12 Test|
|Week 14: Chapter 6 Test||Week 14: Chapter 14 Test|
|Week 16: Chapter 7 Test||Week 16: Chapter 15 Test|
|Week 18: Semester 1 Exam||Week 17: Chapter 16 Test|
|Week 18: Semester 2 Exam|
|10 – 12 (11th, 12th)|
Extension may be granted for an additional fee.
|This course also offered at the
Kolbe Core (K) level.
Course Plan Sample
Note: This course plan is built into the