This Geometry course can follow any Algebra I program, whether the student has used Saxon Algebra I, Jacob’s Elementary Algebra, or another First year Algebra course. This course presents all the geometrical concepts in a traditional fashion to the high school student. This course will sufficiently prepare the student for questions on the math section of the PSAT, ACT, or SAT standardized tests. Students completing this course as well as a previous Algebra I program will be ready to take the traditional second year of Algebra II. The Kolbe Academy recommended course of study includes continuing with Foerster’s Algebra and Trigonometry upon completion of this Geometry course.
This course is typically done in 9th or 10th grade. Topics include:
- Conditional statements
- Direct & indirect proofs
- Pythagorean theorem
- Lines & angles
- Parallel lines
- Right triangles
- Concurrence theorems
- Regular polygons
- Geometric solids
- Intro to trigonometry
Students taking this course for Kolbe Core (K) credit are expected to complete daily assignments, periodic exams and quizzes. Kolbe Honors (H) students will go into more depth and cover more material than the Kolbe Core (K) students.
Assignment due-dates and grades are established by the parent. Optionally, a student may be enrolled in the Self-Paced Plus© grading assistance program to receive grading assistance from a Kolbe Academy faculty or staff member on designated assignments in the course. In this case, parents will still submit final grades to Kolbe for the course, but may choose to incorporate the graded assignments into the student’s overall grade or use the Kolbe-graded assignments to assist in arriving at the student’s final grade.
- Geometry: A Guided Inquiry, G.D. Chakerian, Calvin D. Crabill, and Sherman K. Stein
- Geometry: A Guided Inquiry Home Study Companion, Math Without Borders (Optional but recommended)
- Geometry: A Guided Inquiry Digital License – Paid for with enrollment. (Optional but recommended)
Other Required Materials
- Hand-held Scientific Calculator. Calculators on mobile devices or computers are not acceptable.
Digital copies are provided in the Parent Group of the Self-Paced course. Physical copies are available for purchase in the Kolbe Bookstore.
- Geometry Course Plan & Exams
- Geometry Supplemental Chapter Tests (Core), Kolbe Academy Publishing
- Geometry Supplemental Workbook (Core), Kolbe Academy Publishing
Self-Paced Plus courses include the following:
- Grading by a highly qualified teacher for selected assignments (listed below) in the course.
- Access to teacher through the course’s discussion board.
- Option to report grade given by the teacher, or to report a grade assigned by parent.
- The pacing is still established by the parent in conjunction with the student’s goals and academic calendar.
- Assignments will be graded within 1-2 weeks of the submission date, excluding holiday breaks. (For the quickest grading, students should turn assignments in incrementally throughout the year. If a student turns in multiple assignments to be graded at once, expect a response time of 1-2 weeks per assignment submitted.)
Self-Paced Plus Assignment List:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Week 2: Chapter 1 Test||Week 3: Chapter 6 Test|
|Week 5: Chapter 2 Test||Week 7: Chapter 7 Test|
|Week 8: Chapter 3 Test||Week 9: Chapter 8 Test|
|Week 9: Midterm 1 Exam||Week 10: Midterm 2 Exam|
|Week 12: Chapter 4 Test||Week 14: Chapter 10 Test|
|Week 15: Chapter 5 Test||Week 17: Chapter 11 Test|
|Week 17: Transformations Test||Week 18: Semester 2 Exam|
|Week 18: Semester 1 Exam|
|9 – 12 (9th, 10th)|
Extension may be granted for an additional fee.
Self-Paced Companion Courses
|Biology or Honors Biology|
Online Companion Courses
|Biology or Honors Biology|
|Also offered at the Kolbe Honors (H) level for an additional $69.|
Course Plan Sample
Note: This course plan is built into the